Kendall Construction, Inc. is seeking a highly motivated and detail-oriented Estimator to join our team in Topeka, KS.
This is an excellent opportunity to grow and learn in the fast-paced commercial construction industry. The ideal candidate will have a hands on background in construction management and commercial construction. We are one of the few remaining self-performing construction manager and general contractors, we take pride in our ability to perform and are looking for someone who has the same level of pride.
- Review construction documents (drawings/specifications) in detail and prepare estimates
- Using digital take-off software, perform a detailed and accurate take-off for both self-perform and sub-contracted scopes of work.
- Using Procore Project Management software, manage and distribute project bid documents for assigned projects and solicit pricing from all suppliers/vendors/subcontractors and ensure all scopes of work are covered.
- Performs accurate, timely, and well-organized quantity takeoffs as assigned
- Review and develop scopes and tabulate subcontractor and supplier bids for conformance with bid documents to aid in determining the value of the work
- Prepare and maintain a directory of suppliers, contractors, and subcontractors.
- Participate in proposal presentations to clients and stakeholders.
- Participates in project approach plan and proposal kickoff meetings as requested
- Assists with review of proposal specifications and drawings to determine scope of work and required contents of estimate
- Establishes, maintains, and enhances business relationships with valued trade partners
- Maintains and improves subcontractor database through best practices for entering and updating subcontractor information
- Computes cost factors and prepares estimates used for bidding and budgeting purposes including self-performed work; selecting subcontractors; and determining cost effectiveness and cost realism
- Exercises initiative or, as directed, performs additional duties to meet the needs of the organization
- Incorporate feedback from senior management in order to better provide accurate quotes, pricing and information to the client
- Identify and compute costs after reviewing specific labor, material and time requirements
- Maintain a cost database for future reference when developing preliminary project budgets
- Ability to collaborate with and function well within a team-oriented environment
- Identifies opportunities for improvement in departmental processes, approach, and execution of estimating and preconstruction functions; presents recommended actions/solutions
• Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering, or related field strongly preferred
• Experience with Estimating & MS Office software (Planswift, Bluebeam, MS Excel, etc.)
• Strong understanding of construction processes, materials, and legal requirements.
• Knowledge of general construction practices and principles; Proficiency in reading and interpreting construction documents
• Strong attention to detail with the ability to focus on critical elements and, at the same time, remain mindful of the big picture.
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, identify and address problems, meet deadlines, and stay within budget.
• High degree of professionalism
• Strong negotiation skills
• Possess the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
• Excellent oral and written communications skills
• The ability to work independently
• Health Insurance (100% company paid, including family)
• Dental Insurance (100% company paid, including family)
• Vision Insurance (100% company paid, including family)
• Competitive Salary
• Bonus Program
• 4% 401k match program
• Paid Holidays
• Paid Vacation